Wednesday, January 16, 2008

A simple misunderstanding

In an interview with ABC News yesterday, President Bush said, "I'm sure people view me as a warmonger and I view myself as peacemaker." Where, oh where could people ever have gotten such an idea.

Maybe this misapprehension came from this Feb. 7, 2004 interview with Tim Russert when the President said, "I'm a war president. I make decisions here in the Oval Office in foreign-policy matters with war on my mind."

Maybe it came from this "aw shucks" restatement in a Aug. 6, 2004 campaign speech. "I wish I wasn't the war President. Who in the heck wants to be a war President? I don't. But this is what came our way. And this is our duty, to protect our people. It's a solemn duty, and I'll continue doing it to the best of my ability."

Or maybe from this Sept. 9, 2004 campaign speech. "I never thought I'd be a war President. As a matter of fact, you know, I was hoping I wouldn't be a war President. But the enemy attacked us on September the 11th. It's an event that I will never forget. It is a duty that I will honor, which is to keep America safe."

Or maybe from this Oct. 26, 2006 speech. "I said, I want to be a war President. [sic] No President wants to be a war President, but I am one."

Or maybe this Aug. 10, 2004 speech, this Aug. 11, 2004 speech, this Aug. 12, 2004 speech, this Aug. 13, 2004 speech, this Aug. 28, 2004 speech, this Sept. 4, 2004 speech, this Oct. 10, 2006 speech, or this July 10, 2007 speech (well, you get the idea).