Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Saucy beef pasta

I do not propose to write an ode to dejection, but to brag as lustily as chanticleer in the morning, standing on his roost, if only to wake my neighbors up -- and all the better if it be a chanticleer casserole. (with apologies to H. D. Thoreau)

Tonight's dinner is shown in all its glory on the left: saucy beef pasta (USDA guide, p. 24), canned pears, and white bread toast.

Fixing time was the shortest so far, a total of 30 minutes. For all intents and purposes, the meal is homemade Hamburger Helper ® ("beef pasta" flavor), with frozen green beans thrown in.

I liked it and would fix it again; the other three Ribars were neutral. Just so you know, I like Helper, too, and I think I like ®.

One warning for those of you who try this at home, the recipe calls for 6 3/4 cups of egg noodles, or about an entire one pound bag; half a bag was more than enough. Also, the recipe calls for cooking the green beans before putting everything in the oven; I'd recommend just putting them in frozen and letting the oven do the work (they'll come out a little crunchier and a deeper green). Better yet, use frozen peas.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

seeing your family's past meals, I have noticed that there is a lack of colour...and I hope for your family's sake, that the food is not as terrible as it looks

Anonymous said...

These posts have been cracking me up. So that's one positive outcome from this menu already.

Dave Ribar said...

Oddly, the meals have the same color-scheme as my blog--scary.

If you look closely, you will see a hint of green in tonight's dinner.

My youngest son hit the nail on the head when he said, "For chrissakes Dad, what's wrong with a salad?" I never thought a teenager would beg for salad.